COLLEGE AND GRADUATE STUDENT INTERNSHIP AND TRAINING PROGRAM
Beyond the Tenure Track equips graduate students and PhDs to explore and expand their professional opportunities within and beyond the academy. We are passionate about preparing academics to flourish in diverse professional paths and leadership roles. We accomplish this through professional development and leadership skills training, curriculum, books/workbooks, and mentorship connections.
Beyond the Tenure Track functions as an online business with team members working remotely, though our headquarters is in New Brunswick, New Jersey. We serve universities and organizations throughout the United States.
We are accepting interns for our Summer Internship & Training Program.
Internships are project-based with discrete deliverables and timelines.
Project & Deliverables: Curriculum Development & Copywriting
- Extract themes and draft summaries, newsletters and promotional messages from existing educational materials
- Gather research and statistics on the topics of professional development, leadership development and graduate career pathways
- Develop learning assessments /course evaluations from existing course content
- Draft outline for brief video presentations, building from existing content and educational materials
- Update and format PowerPoint presentations
- Support with ideation and creation of new presentations
- Update and format workshop brochures with creative, brand-relevant language
- Manage your projects and actively participate in , keeping team on task and on time from ideation to completion
Preparing high achievers for their next career move is our jam! You will thrive in this program if you are curious, proactive, solutions-oriented, and highly-motivated, and ready to jump into a fast-paced startup environment.
What you’ll get out of working with Beyond the Tenure Track?:
- Relevant and valuable work experience
- Exposure to entrepreneurship, startup culture, and a remote work environment
- A tangible product/ results from your work that you can boast about on your resumé or in your portfolio
- A professional reference letter commensurate with the quality of your work and disposition
Tech & Tools We Use:
- Google Drive (Google Forms, Sheets, Docs)
- Survey Monkey
- Zoom, Uberconference
- WordPress CMS
- Promo Republic
- Active Campaign
- Google Calendar, TimeTrade
- Preferable, Mac user
As part of this close-knit company, you’ll be working closely with the CEO and the Operations Manager in an intimate, positive, and fast-paced work environment that thrives on organization, communication, excellence, and efficiency.
Estimated Hours Per Week: 10-15 hours
Projects end within 60-90 days of Project Start Date. Opportunities are available to continue with the team depending on performance and results.
Rate: Fixed flat rate for Project
Remote (work-from-home), with possibility for periodic on site work if located near our New Brunswick, NJ headquarters. Must have own computer/laptop with high speed internet access. Must be available during normal business hours; we’re remote team that believes in working during normal business hours so we can enjoy evenings and weekends off.
Intern Profile — Does this sound like you?
- You are proactive, creative, team oriented, self managing, detail-oriented, and solutions-oriented.
- You have a knack for distilling large bodies of information into brief, interesting summaries.
- Your writing and grammar skills are impeccable. You know how to adapt your writing to diverse audiences (students, deans/administrators, the public) and for different purposes (to influence, to market/promote, to inform, to educate).
- You love a good project plan, complete with timelines, action items, and roles.
- You know how to prioritize the most important tasks (at times with minimal guidance), and how to think on your feet.
- You have a passion for organization and time management – you love your checklists or spreadsheets.
- You pride yourself on being reliable. You’re the person everyone else trusts to get the job done (and to get it done right).
- You have a high standard of excellence for yourself and every task you do.
- You excel at creative presentation of educational material. Powerpoint or keynote is your thing!
- In a few years, you could see yourself in a career in instructional design, curriculum development & design, training/facilitation, digital content creation, or editing/copywriting.
We do things differently at Beyond the Tenure Track:
- We do not accept resumes or cover letters.
You read that right. You know we’ve helped hundreds of PhDs find amazing jobs. In our career strategy work with PhDs, we know that resumes and cover letters can be time consuming and inadequate at showcasing your skills and experiences. So instead of you describing your skills and experiences in static documents, we ask questions and request demonstrations.
- We request demonstrations. That means we ask you to show us your work not just tell us about your work. Expect to spend at least 120 min. to complete this application, including the demonstration.
- We are deeply committed to developing PhDs to successfully transitioning from student to professional. So we’re offering you our training video “How to Interview Like a Pro” for free during this application period (normally $97). You’ll watch it as part of completing your demonstration.
- 1st round: Select applicants will be invited to complete brief demonstrations
- 2nd round: Finalists will interview with the CEO and Operations Manager
- Selections announced and start date on or near July 16th
All selected interns will sign a NDA and hiring agreement.
If you are interested in this role, please complete this Application.
Do NOT submit a resume or cover letter; instead, complete the Application above.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org